Sunday, July 23, 2006

Buying t-shirts

Here I am, in the Hobby Lobby, a week after Halloween. This is one of the first times I nursed successfully in the sling. That was a huge turning point- I could walk around doing things and still feed my baby! I never got to the point where I could nurse hands-free with a ring sling, though (that, by the by, is a Maya Wrap).

Nursing is a huge bonding experience- especially as my baby is older, I find- but much of the time, it's just feeding. It's not a particularly special moment. Breastfed babies can eat alot. I mean, she was on the boob twenty minutes ago. In thirty minutes she'll be back on the boob... anything you can do to get on with your life in the meantime is awesome.

That's what drives me spare about people against nursing in public- I wasn't trying to make any political statement in this picture. I wasn't trying to be exhibitionist. I was just trying to meet my baby's needs and not have to totally sequester myself. That's why I'm grinning- look, I'm still shopping!

My father-in-law took this picture, but I'm not totally sure he realized that I was nursing at the time. Regardless, this is one of my treasured pictures.

No comments: